Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Getting into the Zone

Auto Zone. More on that in a bit.

Today, I bought a bunch of things that I studied about last week. From Summit Racing, I bought:

My transmission shifter (backordered for 3 weeks)


my transmission oil cooler


and my oil pressure gauge line (backordered for a month)


The backorder status is unfortunate, but I have plenty to do and these prices were very good.

I also decided to buy a bunch of things from AutoZone. Normally, I prefer buying from Advance Auto Parts, because they support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. But AZ has a cool deal where if you are a frequent customer who makes at least 5 purchases of $20 or more within 6 months, you get a $20 credit. So they will be getting some of my business now too.

Today, I got my water neck (where the coolant exits the engine on the way to the radiator), a rubber bypass hose (needed to make sure the engine has fluid in it at startup), and a quart of rear end gear oil. These cost me $22, wink-wink. Tomorrow I will be going back to buy an upper radiator hose, a thermostat, and another quart of gear oil that will also cost $22. Later, there will be plenty of more little things to buy like the lower radiator hose, motor oil, transmission fluid, a battery, etc., all of which will get done in as close to $20 increments as possible.
Every little bit will help.

I even got to work on the car then for a couple of hours too. You wouldn't think it would take that long to add 1 quart of gear oil to the differential, but it did. I probably should have done it a year ago when I put that together, but it did not need the lubrication since it wasn't going to be moving anyway. Now, since I am getting closer to putting the cockpit tub in place, it would be harder to access that if I waited any longer. I took some pics, but they aren't very clear so I won't post them til I finish the job tomorrow, if at all.

No comments: