Thursday, June 25, 2009

Differential complete

I finished getting the gear oil in the differential today and have some decent pictures to go with the story.

The first problem was figuring out how to remove the drain plug. Unlike every other plug I have seen, this one did not have a hexagonal hole in the head; its was square. Here is a picture.

It turns out that instead of using an Allen wrench, you have to use a 3/8" ratchet wrench without any socket on it.

So the next problem is how to get the oil out of the bottle and into the third member. The big problem is that the hole is on the side, perpendicular to the ground, so the oil has to go in sideways.

Having run all of my brake and fuel lines precluded me from getting the nipple of the bottle into the right position. And I did not want to undo any of the other work I had done, just to make room. Here, the internet did not have a solution.

I ended up taking some leftover aluminum tubing from my fuel line and cutting off a piece to form a fill tube.


Here is a picture with the tube going into the fill hole and the top of the fill tube visible, but a little blurry.


That tube is only 3/8" wide, so filling this way was very slow. The first quart, squeezed in by hand, took about 45 minutes. Today, I put the second quart in and punched a hole in the bottom of the bottle, so it would drain out fast and that let me finish in about 10 or 15 minutes.

I also had to add a 4 oz bottle of friction modifier. That is required for non-synthetic oil used in this limited slip differential. It prevents annoying chattering. I just mixed it into the bottle of oil and fed it in with the rest. Here is a picture of that. It is only noteworthy because it is the nastiest, evilest smelling thing I have ever encountered.

No comments: