Saturday, September 4, 2010

Steering

I got a fair amount done this week before running into problems. I did complete the brake pedal assembly installation, including the brake light switch. I had some trouble getting the bolts through the firewall straight, but otherwise it was not bad.

Then it was on to the steering chapter. I put together the shafts on my workbench, connecting them with the U-joints, all of which I had painted long ago. Everything seems to fit okay, but the paint makes the fit through the firewall bearing very tight. The bigger problems arose when I realized that I was shorted one of the two bearings that should have come with the kit. That is a special part that I can't just walk into an auto parts or hardware store to buy. I can send away to get one delivered to my local Fastenal store, but that will take a few days, and naturally this happens on a long weekend. Some mail order places sell them for about 6 to 8 bucks, but charge another 6 for shipping. Fastenal is $11, but no shipping.

I also ran into obvious problems when I was loose fitting what I could while dealing with the bearing shortage. My steering shaft does not quite clear the power steering pump and its hoses. It is very close, but I need to get another half inch or so of clearance before I am good to go. I am not sure how I will do that, but I ought to figure out a way without too much trouble. Maybe re-routing the hoses, maybe adjusting the existing pump bracketry and getting a different belt, I am just not sure yet.

I had more tool troubles, too. My old Craftsman drill seems to have given up. Neither battery seems to be charging at all now. (Yes, it is plugged in)! I also had a socket adapter break when I was torqueing one of the bolts to its final tightness. Fortunately, I had a spare one and could continue working. And my garage door got stuck again, this time worse than the first. It turns out that a piece of wood trim had come loose and gotten jammed in the works, causing one of the rollers to jump the track. That got fixed right this time, now that I could see what was going on.

Oh, and kudos go out to NAPA. A long time ago, I had a different garage door problem that required a bolt replacement. I just happened to have one the perfect size on hand in my car parts, so I used that. It was not spare though, and this week I needed it for some of the steering system mounting. Off I went to NAPA and they just let me take one for free. Good thing I was wearing my NAPA hat when I went into the store, I guess. They didn't know me from Adam.

Sorry for no pics. I will double up next week.

No comments: