Monday, June 14, 2010

Driveshaft Safety Loop

I have found a little time here and there to work on the driveshaft safety loop. In test fitting it, I determined that it was borderline to fit the way everybody else's did, by bolting to the existing X-brace bolts. I took a little time and decided that if I offset the holes in the bracket a bit, that I would gain enough room to move the loop part a little bit farther back on the shaft itself. The SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) mandates that the loop be within 6 inches of the front U-joint. Mine was only about 2 or 3. But since my driveshaft is so short, I figure I should be fine.

I have carefully measured and drilled the holes for mounting the bracket to the frame and have also hit it with a coat of POR-15, the rustproofing paint. Now all I need is for it to dry and bolt everything together. Should be a breeze. I have been procrastinating a bit because I should also use the leftover POR-15 to touch up the frame where I missed some spots the first time, and that means spending a fair amount of time on my back painting the underside of the frame (with a sprained left thumb) in long sleeves and pants because you just don't want to get this stuff on you. Anyway, not something that I exactly look forward to.

Pictures will follow soon when I finish bolting the loop together.

No comments: