Thursday, March 12, 2009

Just a little more work done

Did some easy stuff today. First, I attached the flexplate to the engine block. Here are 2 before pics. The rear of the engine...

And the flexplate itself...


The plate fits onto the engine with 6 bolts that connect it to the end of the crankshaft. It looked like the 6 bolt holes were evenly spaced, but not quite, and the directions I saw on the web (since none really came with the plate itself) never mentioned that. So I started with 3 bolts all going in fine complete with the blue thread locker, only to find that the next one would not match up quite perfectly with the hole. I ended up rotating the shaft and trying again, 3 more times until I stumbled onto the correct matchup. Other than that, it went very smooth. Here is the final outcome.


Next, I took off the engine lift plate and set the carburetor in place. I am missing part of the stuff I will need to get it to link up with the transmission, so I am just sort of setting it in place for now.



While I continue working on acquiring the transmission, I can now plumb the rest of the fuel system. I need to connect the dual carburetor bowls to the mechanical fuel pump I installed in the engine months ago. And I still need to connect the fuel pump to the hard fuel line running from the tank. I think I may end up buying a special kit, probably from JEGS, that will come with almost everything I need.

No comments: