Sunday, May 11, 2008

No real progress

It was not a very good week. I am still stuck on the driver side rear axle. I have not gotten much help from the forum, and I am still waiting to hear back from Hurricane on my questions about what to do about it next. After working on it for a couple of hours myself and another with Phil, I think the problem may be with the rear wheel bearing being larger than the housing it is supposed to fit into. So I bought a digital caliper to measure the diameters of the hole and the bearing.

Just taking some quickie measurements seems to bear out my hypothesis, but it is very close, probably within the margin of operator error on my part. This week I will try to be a little more precise, but I may not be able to measure everything I need to. Phil will be driving through Kansas City next weekend on his way to Wichita and has volunteered to swing by Hurricane to exchange any parts, if we can figure out exactly what is wrong.

I may also bypass this problem for a while and work a little on the front end of the car's suspension.

No comments: