Thursday, March 20, 2008

3rd Member

This week, I have painted the rear axle housing and attached the 3rd member. I have a limited slip differential with 3.20 gears. Here is a picture of the gears and of the joint where the driveshaft will connect, prior to me mating it to the rear axle housing.


To connect this to the axle housing, I had to use some black RTV silicon and the gasket pictured here. It was a bit of a problem when the toothpaste like tube of silicon that I was using burst open at the bottom. So the goo came out of just about everywhere except the little nozzle at the end. I made quite a mess of it all, but I think I got the gasket seated well enough. I won't really know until later when the axles and brakes are in and I am able to fill the whole housing up with the appropriate oil. Unfortunately, that will have to wait because I have found that I am missing a vent tube for the axle that did not ship with the rest of the parts. So I am waiting to hear back from Hurricane on them sending me one.

Here is a picture of everything assembled. I will paint the rest of the "pumpkin" and then get cracking on the brakes and axles.

No comments: